Electrical Troubleshooting Services in North Bergen, NJ
Not only is it the nation’s power grid that is seriously antiquated, but the electrical system of many homes and offices is seriously out of date, ever straining to keep up with America’s ever-growing collection of power-hungry appliances, lighting, and gadgetry. When the signs of this strain show up in a home, most homeowners call an electrician for help. And even if an electrician finds obvious problems, there might be others that aren’t so obvious that lurk unseen behind ceilings, walls, and cover plates. What follows are some of the most common Electrical Troubleshooting issues.
Most Common Electrical Problems
For many homeowners who might want to have a little more light than what a room calls for, adding a light bulb with a higher wattage is no big deal. Unfortunately, is this not only a code violation, but it is also dangerous. A higher-wattage bulb has the heat to melt the socket and can scorch the insulation inside, eventually causing a fire. The solution is to always stay within wattage limits and for older fixtures, use 60-watt or smaller bulbs.
Uncovered Junction Boxes
Junction boxes house the splices and other elements of wiring that can be dangerous. When these are uncovered, they can be touched and generate a shock. The danger level of this is relatively low, as long as wires are out of reach, but it’s still a code violation. The best fix for this is to buy a new cover and use small screws to attach it.
Lights that Flicker When It’s Windy
The weather head is the fixture on a house where the power enters. When windy weather causes the wires to move there is a high risk of fire. The best way to deal with this is to call the power company for them to service it.
Not Enough Outlets
Whenever a home has too few outlets, there is usually a high dependence on extension cords and power strips. Today’s codes require outlets within four feet of a doorway and every 12 feet thereafter. The risk of fire from these is usually minimal if high-quality (thick) cords are used or add more outlets.
The issue of increased risk of electrocution in wet areas such as baths and kitchens was solved with CFGIs, which shut down a circuit in four milliseconds. Without these, the risk of electrocution is high.
Just as is the case with practically anything electrical, circuit panels are rated for use by different numbers of breakers. The danger of these is minimal, but when a house is being sold and an inspector looks inside, there might be questions asked. Electrical Troubleshooting in North Bergen, NJ will help.
In the 60s and 70s, aluminum wires were used as a cheap alternative to copper. Unfortunately, since then aluminum wiring has been considered dangerous since when it comes into contact with copper, the connections loosen and lead to fires.
The next time you install a new switch or receptacle, be sure not to push back too hard since this is likely to make wires come loose around screw terminals. At best, this will cause a receptacle to stop working. At worse, it might cause a fire.
A house without grounded receptacles has nowhere to direct stray current that escapes from the wiring. The danger level of this is minimal as long as you don’t use an adapter to make a three-prong device into a two-prong.
Plugs Fall Out of Receptacles
Once the contacts inside of a receptacle start to wear, the prongs won’t fit firmly, causing them to fall out of the receptacles. Unfortunately, loose contacts will cause arching and ignite dry dust and wood. Whenever a plug falls from a receptacle without cause it should be closely looked at and replaced if there is a cause.
One almost universal concern by owners of older homes is the condition of their wiring. As wiring gets older, this concern grows. The truth is that wiring rarely goes bad, even when it gets older, and old wiring is almost always just as good as new stuff. Electrical wiring in a home is always fair game for questions. If you have questions, contact Xpert Electric for help.